- Francis Dhomont
- Year of composition: 1996
- Duration: 5:20
- Instrumentation: stereo fixed medium
- Publisher(s): Ymx média
- ISWC: T0031078177
In memory of Pierre Schaeffer (1910-1995)
Both a lamento and a funeral march, this paraphrase of Pierre Schaeffer’s Étude aux objets is not without connection to ornate, figured choral style. Three voices (in the contrapuntal sense of the term), developed from elements drawn from the first movement of the Étude, embroider and animate the long values of the original subjects that make up the “choral,” which constitutes the fourth voice of this polyphonic composition. The choice of a classical form, so important in Bach, was a conscious one that was designed to honor the memory of Schaeffer. I like to think that he would have enjoyed the allusion.
[English translation: Tom Carter]
Objets retrouvés [Refound Objects] — 1st of the 4 works in the Cycle du son — was realized in 1996 at the composer’s studio with sound material obtained from the SYTER system of Ina-GRM, and it premiered on May 31, 1996 at the Hommage-Tombeau de Schaeffer concert as part of Synthèse, the Festival international de musique électroacoustique de Bourges (France, 1996).
- May 31, 1996, Synthèse 1996: Hommage-Tombeau de Schaeffer, Théâtre Jacques-Cœur, Bourges (Cher, France)
- Studio SYTER — Groupe de recherches musicales – Institut national de l’audiovisuel (Ina-GRM), Paris (France)
- 1996, Personal studio, Montréal (Québec)
- Cycle du son (1989-98), 56:32stereo fixed medium