- Yves Daoust
- Year of composition: 1994
- Duration: 10:09
- Instrumentation: stereo fixed medium
- Publisher(s): Ymx média
- Commission: ACREQ, with support from the CCA
- ISWC: T0715183257
This work was inspired by the Fantaisie-Impromptu in
The work is an attempt to convey the feverishness of Chopin’s writing through the unleashing of floods of MIDI data, pushing this technique to its limits: swirls of motives and arpeggios continuously accelerating to saturation, the crystallization of time into extremely dense units which are in turn modified and sculpted by various processes.
I had given myself the challenge of realizing the piece with very simple means, using commercial instruments designed for popular rather than experimental music.
Impromptu was realized in 1994 at the composer’s studio. It premiered in Montréal on June 19, 1994. The piece was commissioned by ACREQ with the help of the Canada Council for the Arts (CCA).
- June 19, 1994, 2e concert 15e anniversaire, Salle Redpath — Université McGill, Montréal (Québec)
- 1994, Personal studio, Montréal (Québec)