- Robert Normandeau
- Year of composition: 2007, 11
- Duration: 8:58
- Instrumentation: stereo fixed medium
- Publisher(s): Ymx média
- Commission: Musiques & Recherches
- ISWC: T9113325238
My first stay as a professional composer in Europe was in 1987 at the Métamorphoses d’Orphée studio upon invitation by Annette Vande Gorne (after a Prize awarded at the Phonurgia-Nova International Competition, Arles, France) to compose Rumeurs (place de Ransbeck). This work was based on the ambiguity between sound and meaning and was part of a cinema for the ear cycle. Today, 20 years later, I wanted to visit again this Place de Ransbeck (where the studio is located) with today’s studio tools. Rumeurs was composed with high quality but simple analog devices: a portable recorder, five tape recorders and a mixing board. Since then, digital devices appeared that allow us to reveal a little bit more of the unheard-of. It appeared to me that it was interesting to search out more details in the grain of the sound. The sound material was recorded with microphones, either in a natural environment, or “played” by a Foley artist.
Murmures was realized in June 2007 at the Métamorphoses d’Orphée studio of Musiques & Recherches in Ohain (Belgium) and was completed at the composer’s studio. It premiered on October 17, 2007 during the 14th international acousmatic festival L’Espace du son at Théâtre Marni in Brussels (Belgium). The work was revised in 2011. Thanks to Foley artist and composer Marie-Jeanne Wyckmans who lent me her sound objects and her magical gestures.
- October 17, 2007, L’Espace du son 2007: Ouverture et anniversaire!, Théâtre Marni, Brussels (Belgium)
- 2007-06, Métamorphoses d’Orphée — Musiques & Recherches, Ohain (Belgium)
- ca 2007-07 – ca 2007-10, Personal studio, Montréal (Québec)
- 2011, Personal studio, Montréal (Québec)