- Benjamin Thigpen
- Year of composition: 2007-09
- Duration: 33:05
- Instrumentation: 5-channel fixed medium
- Publisher(s): Ymx média
- Commission: Ina-GRM
- ISWC: T7024138067
Calm like the sea;
Like a high wind that never ceases.
— Lao Tzu
Stillness in movement. Attention fully concentrated on a single point: resting, changing… Stability within an endless flow.
All the sounds in still are recordings of common objects, used without transformation; the only processes applied are equalization, compression, and reverberation.
still was realized in April 2007, February 2009, and May 2009 at the Visby International Centre for Composers (VICC, Sweden), in April and May 2009 at EMS (Stockholm, Sweden), and in August 2009 at GRM (Paris, France). The complete work premiered on October 5, 2012 during the concert Akousma + Live of the Multiphonies series presented by the Ina-GRM at the Auditorium Saint-Germain of the MPAA (Paris, France). The piece was commissioned by the Ina-GRM. Thanks to Jesper Elén, Mirjam Tally, Ramon Anthin, Sten Melin, Mats Lindström, Isabel Thomson, and Christian Zanési.
- October 5, 2012, Multiphonies 2011-12: Akousma + Live, Auditorium Saint-Germain — MPAA, Paris (France)
- 2007-04, Visby International Centre for Composers (VICC), Visby (Sweden)
- 2009-02, Visby International Centre for Composers (VICC), Visby (Sweden)
- 2009-04 – 2009-05, Elektronmusikstudion (EMS), Stockholm (Sweden)
- 2009-05, Visby International Centre for Composers (VICC), Visby (Sweden)
- 2009-08, Groupe de recherches musicales – Institut national de l’audiovisuel (Ina-GRM), Paris (France)