- David Berezan
- Year of composition: 2011
- Duration: 11:57
- Instrumentation: 8-channel fixed medium
- Publisher(s): Ymx média
- ISWC: T9130332444
Thumbs uses a single plucked sound from a Balinese thumb piano as its primary sound source, subjected to transformations of pitch and grain, and explored in multichannel space. I aimed to reduce the variety of sound-types and materials used in the work as much as possible, while still creating an engaging and evolving soundworld. A number of spoken expressions that include ‘thumb’ came to mind during the composition of the piece (rule-of-thumb, all-thumbs, thumbing through, thumbs-up / down, under thumb). These acted, at some level, as informers upon the work.
Thumbs was realized at the electroacoustic music studios of CMMAS in Morelia (Mexico), University of Calgary (Canada) and Université de Montréal (Québec), and premiered August 12, 2011 during the concert Places for our ears to go… during the Sound Travels Festival of Sound Art at Wychwood Theatre in Toronto (Canada).
- Centro Mexicano para la Música y las Artes Sonoras (CMMAS), Morelia (Mexico)
- Sonic Arts Lab — University of Calgary, Calgary (Alberta, Canada)
- Faculté de musique – Université de Montréal, Montréal (Québec)
- August 12, 2011, David Berezan, diffusion • Sound Travels 2011: Places for Our Ears to Go…, Wychwood Theatre — Artscape Wychwood Barns, Toronto (Ontario, Canada)
empreintes DIGITALes / IMED 13122, IMED 13122_NUM / 2013