Mécanique des fluides
- Horacio Vaggione
- Year of composition: 2014-15
- Duration: 19:17
- Instrumentation: 8-channel fixed medium
- Publisher(s): Ymx média
- Commission: French State (Music Office), Ina-GRM
- ISWC: T9235018856
The title Mécanique des fluides [Fluid Mechanics] can be taken poetically, metaphorically, or more scientifically as alluding to a certain description of the physical world. My composition uses all three meanings of the phrase at once. The difference I often make between laminar (smooth) sounds and turbulent (intermittent) sounds is underpinned by a physical description. I think that sounds – all sounds – behave like fluids. However, despite the fact that I am taking this phenomenology into account, I am not looking to “imitate” some form of “nature,” but trying to let composed sound morphologies emerge, as manifested in levels of polyphonic activity.
[English translation: François Couture, ix-17]
Mécanique des fluides was realized in 2014-15 in the studios of the Groupe de recherches musicales (GRM) in Paris (France) and premiered on January 23, 2015, as part of the Multiphonies series presented by the Ina-GRM at the Auditorium Saint-Germain of the MPAA (Paris, France). The piece was commissioned by the French State (Music Office) and the Ina-GRM (Paris).
- January 23, 2015, Multiphonies 2014-15: Akousma, Auditorium Saint-Germain — MPAA, Paris (France)
- 2014 – 2015, Groupe de recherches musicales – Institut national de l’audiovisuel (Ina-GRM), Paris (France)