- James O’Callaghan
- Year of composition: 2014-15
- Duration: 20:02
- Instrumentation: 4-channel fixed medium (with optional additional sound diffusion inside the instruments of a string quartet)
- Publisher(s): Ymx média
- Commission: Ina-GRM
- ISWC: T9194129196
Empties-Impetus attempts to navigate the instruments of the string quartet as imaginary interior spaces and as bearers of meaning; variously by grappling with the historical weight of the idiom and the recognizable quality of its timbres, and also by subverting that meaning by reassessing the objects according to their physical construction, spatial properties, and different environmental contexts.
Empties-Impetus was realized in 2014-15 at the composer’s studio in Montréal (Québec) and completed in 2015 in the studios of the Groupe de recherches musicales (GRM) in Paris (France), and premiered on January 24, 2015 as part of the Multiphonies series presented by the Ina-GRM at the Auditorium Saint-Germain of the MPAA (Paris, France). The piece was commissioned by the Ina-GRM. Empties-Impetus was finalist in the 2nd Klang competition (Montpellier, France, 2015).
- January 24, 2015, Multiphonies 2014-15: Akousma, Auditorium Saint-Germain — MPAA, Paris (France)
- Mention, Ars Electronica Forum Wallis 2017, Leuk (Switzerland)
- Residency Prize, Prix CIME 2017
empreintes DIGITALes / IMED 16140, IMED 16140_NUM / 2016