- Year of composition: 1997
- Duration: 13:09
- Instrumentation: stereo fixed medium
- ISWC: T0006104911
A forest of small creatures is gradually unveiled, their expressions and emotions revealed as they explore their sound world.
Despite the living qualities alluded to by many of the sounds, all materials in Little Animals stem from non-vocal, inanimate acoustic objects. I remember, when composing this work in 1997, being surprised by how the sounds evolved these living qualities in successive transformational iterations.
Little Animals was realized in 1997 in the studios of City University London (England, UK), and premiered on March 28, 1998 at the concert of the 5th Prix international Noroit-Léonce Petitot (Arras, France). The piece was composed as part of the doctoral degree program at City University London. Little Animals was awarded the First Prize at 25th Bourges International Electroacoustic Music Competition (France, 1998), received an Honorable Mention at the Prix Ars Electronica (Linz, Austria, 1998), and was a finalist at the 5th Prix international Noroit-Léonce Petitot (Arras, France, 1998).
- March 28, 1998, 5e Prix international Noroit-Léonce Petitot, Centre culturel Noroit, Arras (Pas-de-Calais, France)
- Public Mention, 5th Noroit-Leonce Petitot International Prize 1997, Arras (Pas-de-Calais, France)
- Prize, Studio Electroacoustic Music Prize, 25th Bourges International Electroacoustic Music Competition 1998, Bourges (Cher, France)
- Honorable Mention, Computer Music, Prix Ars Electronica 1998, Linz (Austria)
- 1997, Sound Studios — City, University of London, London (England, UK)
About this recording
The piece was remastered in 2016-17 at the composer’s studio in Hvalstad (Norway).
- 2016-08 – 2017-01-16, Personal studio, Hvalstad (Norway)