- Year of composition: 2003
- Duration: 10:09
- Instrumentation: 8-channel fixed medium
- Publisher(s): Ymx média
- Commission: NAISA, with support from the CCA
- ISWC: T0044193078
The title could have been “Spatial planes,” since the piece’s intention mainly presents different models of sound progression within three-dimensional space. It is therefore a study. But a very liberal study that does not try to demonstrate, nor does it rules out lyricism. Formally, it is presented like a suite of short pieces aimed at the various perceptions of spatialized sounds. The listener will be able to identify various types of spatial gestures — moving/still, punctual/plethoric, near/far — as well as acoustic images playing with localizations, trajectories, masses and sound textures. However this principle of articulation, even if it provides the focus of the piece, does not have to hinder the simple pleasure found in aural immersion.
In its original live 8-channel version, this acousmatic piece gives the spotlight back to the performer, as it pairs up six preprogrammed channels (through Darren Copeland’s Audiobox) and two live-mix channels (through David Eagle’s aXi0 Controller).
[English translation: François Couture, viii-06]
Here and There was realized in 2003 at the composer’s studio in Montréal. The work was premiered by David Eagle and Darren Copeland on May 11, 2003 during Open Ears, 4th Festival of Music and Sound in Kitchener (Ontario). Here and There was commissioned by New Adventures in Sound Art (NAISA) in Toronto with support from the Canada Council for the Arts (CCA). Here and There was awarded First Prize at the 5th Concorso Internazionale di Composizione Musicale Elettronica Pierre Schaeffer (Pescara, Italy, 2005) and was recorded on the disc 5°/4° Concorso Internazionale di Composizione Musicale Elettronica Pierre Schaeffer.
- May 11, 2003, Darren Copeland, David Eagle, diffusion • Open Ears 2003: Electroacoustic Concert, Rotunda Gallery — Kitchener City Hall, Kitchener (Ontario, Canada)
- 1st prize, Category A (fixed medium), 5° Concorso Internazionale di Composizione Elettronica Pierre Schaeffer 2005, Pescara (Italy)
- 2003, Personal studio, Montréal (Québec)