- Year of composition: 1996
- Duration: 7:21
- Instrumentation: stereo fixed medium
- Publisher(s): Ymx média
- 88 kHz, 24 bits
“Onset — beginning; attack; articulation; impulse; an event marking a notable change of state.
Offset — displacement; perceptible delay in time; measurable distance in space; dislocation.
Onset / Offset explores the interplay between the real-world connotations of recognisable sounds and their spectromorphological characteristics (their purely sonic qualities). The resulting ambiguities lead to some startling displacements and dislocations between events/articulations and their continuations/extensions.” — Jonty Harrison
Onset / Offset was realized in summer 1996 in the Electroacoustic Music Studios of the University of Birmingham (UK) and the studios of Northern College (Aberdeen, Scotland) and premiered on June 25, 1996 at the Filmhouse (Edinburgh). It received Honorable Mentions at the Stockholm Electronic Arts Award (Sweden, 1996) and the 1st Concorso Internazionale di Composizione Musicale Elettronica Pierre Schaeffer (Pescara, Italy, 1998).
- June 25, 1996, Concert, Filmhouse, Edinburgh (Scotland, UK)
- Mention, Stockholm Electronic Arts Award 1996, Stockholm (Sweden)
- Honorable Mention, Category A (fixed medium), 1° Concorso Internazionale di Composizione Elettronica Pierre Schaeffer 1998, Pescara (Italy)
About this recording
This version was mastered by Dominique Bassal in 2005 in Montréal.