- Year of composition: 1995
- Duration: 13:44
- Instrumentation: flute and stereo fixed medium
- Publisher(s): Ymx média
- Commission: Nancy Ruffer, with support from the CCA
- ISWC: T0722229459
- 44,1 kHz, 16 bits
The work is based on fairy simple melodic and harmonic ideas. The interest for me in this type of work is to use the recording studio to create a series of distinct sound worlds, or orchestrations, based on these melodic and harmonic ideas. The tape becomes the catalyst for creating the changes in mood and tone. The live soloist repeatedly states the melodic ideas in a simple to very virtuosic manner.
The Gravity of Silence. Resonance #5 was realized in 1995 at the composer’s studio and premiered by Nancy Ruffer on March 23, 1996 at Conway Hall in London (UK). The piece was commissioned by flutist Nancy Ruffer with support from the Canada Council for the Arts (CCA).
- March 23, 1996, Nancy Ruffer, flute • Concert, Conway Hall, London (England, UK)
- 1995, Personal studio, Vancouver (British Columbia, Canada)
About this recording
This version was performed by Chenoa Anderson at the composer’s studio in Vancouver in 1999 and was later mixed and mastered in the composer’s studio in Montréal in 2003-04.