- Year of composition: 2002
- Duration: 9:40
- Instrumentation: fixed medium
- Publisher(s): Ymx média
- Commission: BEAST
- ISWC: T0112287383
- 96 kHz, 24 bits
Aerial is a sonic photograph of the hills and mountains that surround where I currently live in the north of England. The work is not an attempt to depict one particular location but a response to the landscape as a whole. Throughout the work, the listener is lead through various vistas that are sonic equivalents of a camera zooming in and out. The work forms a pair with Deepfield, both exploring similar materials with differing sonic results.
Aerial was realized in 2002 in the studios of the Groupe de recherches musicales (Ina-GRM, Paris, France) and premiered on March 7, 2003 during the 20th anniversary concerts of the Birmingham ElectroAcoustic Sound Theatre (BEAST) “20/20 Re:Vision” at the CBSO Centre (Birmingham, UK). The work was awarded an Honorable Mention in the Musica Nova 2002 International Competition of Electroacoustic Music (Prague, Czech Republic).
- March 7, 2003, 20/20 Re:Vision: Past, Concert 2, CBSO Centre, Birmingham (England, UK)
- Honorable Mention, Category A (fixed medium), Musica Nova 2002, Prague (Czech Republic)
- 2002, Groupe de recherches musicales – Institut national de l’audiovisuel (Ina-GRM), Paris (France)
About this recording
This version was mastered by Dominique Bassal in 2005 in Montréal.