- Year of composition: 2005
- Duration: 10:36
- Instrumentation: fixed medium
- Publisher(s): Ymx média
- Commission: IMEB
- ISWC: T9001973655
- 96 kHz, 24 bits
Silk to Steel is a musical present to my close friend and fellow composer Christopher Fox who celebrated his 50th birthday in early 2005. This work takes fragments from his piano work Prime Site and weaves around these a series of electroacoustic variations. Like Prime Site, Silk to Steel is in seven interlocking sections that make use of prime number sequences to order material as well as other stuctural parameters… But let’s not get into talk of musical techniques, let us raise a glass to this constantly inventive and charismatic composer and wish him many more artistically fruitful years to come.
Silk to Steel was realized at the studio Circé of the Institut international de musique électroacoustique de Bourges (IMEB, France) and premiered on June 4, 2005 at Synthèse, the 35th Bourges International Electronic Music and Creation Festival (France). It was commissioned by the IMEB. The work received a mention at the 32nd Bourges International Electroacoustic Music and Sonic Art Competition (France, 2005).
- June 4, 2005, Synthèse 2005: Concert, Bourges (Cher, France)
- Mention, Work of Abstract Music Prize, 32nd Bourges International Electroacoustic Music and Sound Art Competition 2005, Bourges (Cher, France)
- 2005-04, Circé — Institut international de musique électroacoustique de Bourges (IMEB), Bourges (Cher, France)
About this recording
This version was mastered by Dominique Bassal in 2005 in Montréal.