- Year of composition: 2005
- Duration: 6:41
- Form: videomusic
- Instrumentation: 5.1-channel fixed medium and video
- Publisher(s): Yul média
- Commission: Réseaux des arts médiatiques, with support from the CCA
- ISWC: T9017324264
- 48 kHz, 24 bits
This work is the soundtrack for the video The Lighthouse (third work of the Theseus triptych) by Khrystell E Burlin.
Loops of filtered noise, synthesizer textures, urban samples. Horse hoof rhythms, creaking doors, a bell — all bring a kind of welcoming tension. Drum and bass sounds, breakbeats, crackling smackdowns push the tempo, very urban; my version of the city’s pulse.
Radio whispers from an old war as the city traffic chaos becomes symphonic. Barely-held-together melodic fragments drown in a sea of raw noise. The ocean, now light, blinding in the end.
The Lighthouse was realized in 2005 at the composer’s studio (soundtrack) and the video artist’s studio (video) and premiered on December 10, 2005 during Akousma (2), presented by Réseaux at Espace Go in Montréal. The piece was commissioned by Réseaux des arts médiatiques, with support from the Canada Council for the Arts (CCA).
- December 10, 2005, Akousma (2): Rhapsodie urbaine, Espace Go, Montréal (Québec)
- 2005, Personal studio, Montréal (Québec)
- 2005, video: Khrystell E Burlin • Personal studio, London (England, UK)
- Dominique Bassal • Studio Inverse, Montréal (Québec)