- Year of composition: 2010
- Duration: 11:07
- Instrumentation: fixed medium
- Publisher(s): Yul média
- ISWC: T9057661424
- 44,1 kHz, 24 bits
This piece considers the nature of vocality, through its almost pure derivation from several brief birdcall recordings. In parsing the birdsong harmonically, Songstressed perhaps exemplifies aspects of a spectral approach to composing. And in this case, much of the piece emerges formally by simply revealing the content.
Songstressed was realized in 2010 at the composer’s studio in New York City (NY, USA) and premiered on January 16, 2011 during the New Ideas Music Series at Pianos (on Ludlow Street) in New York City (NY, USA). Thanks to Rachel Mundy for providing the original source recordings, to Margaret Lancaster for an additional flute source sound, and to Michael Waller for programming the premiere. Songstressed was selected for performance on March 29, 2011 at the 40th Annual John Donald Robb Trust Composers’ Symposium at the University of New Mexico (Albuquerque, NM, USA).
- January 16, 2011, New Ideas Music Series, Pianos, New York City (New York, USA)
- 2010, Personal studio, New York City (New York, USA)
- 2011-12-18, Dominique Bassal • Studio Inverse, Montréal (Québec)