- Year of composition: 2004
- Arrangement: Arr. Martin Bédard, 2005
- Duration: 3:54
- Instrumentation: fixed medium
- Commission: Codes d’accès, with support from the CALQ
- 44,1 kHz, 16 bits
- 44,1 kHz, 24 bits
- 44,1 kHz, 32 bits
Inspired by the main character in Aleksandr Zinovyev’s novel Notes of the Nightwatchman, I imagined I was a night watchman making unreal rounds in the heart of darkness where, guided by bleak light and the echoes of one’s footsteps, everything in these transfigured places is experienced from within.
[English translation: François Couture, i-13]
The acousmatic version of Topographie de la noirceur [Topography of Darkness] was realized in 2005 at the composer’s studio and premiered on April 29, 2006 as part of the concert series Les machines à communiquer presented by Codes d’accès at La Chapelle (Montréal). Thanks to the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec (CALQ). Topographie de la noirceur was awarded the Second Prize at the Canadian Electroacoustic Community’s Jeu de temps / Times Play (JTTP) competition (CEC, Canada, 2005).
- April 29, 2006, Les machines à communiquer: III: Concert de musique électroacoustique, La Chapelle, Montréal (Québec)