- Year of composition: 2013-14
- Duration: 10:00
- Instrumentation: stereo fixed medium
- Publisher(s): Ymx média
- ISWC: T9314879931
- 48 kHz, 24 bits
This piece is composed from a recording of a refrigerator in the Old Jesuit Monastery in Áno Sýros (Greece) during a residency at the Syros Sound Meetings in the summer of 2013. I spent many long days during this residency recording the windy soundscapes of the island of Syros — blowing across the island’s hilly terrain, whistling through the windows and the shutters of the Monastery’s guesthouse… One day, passing through the kitchen on my way to record the wind beating against the windows, I was distracted by the rather pleasant hum of the refrigerator, and paused to take a quick recording before continuing with my obsession with the wind. In the end, it is this brief refrigerator recording that has caught and held my compositional attention.
Psygeío was realized in 2013-14 in Studio Erkki of Sibelius-Akatemia in Helsinki (Finland), and premiered on February 12, 2014 at the Acousmatica XIII concert in the Black Box of the Musiikkitalo (Music Centre) in Helsinki (Finland). Thanks to Yannis Kotsonis, and Danae Stefanou. Psygeío was awarded an Honorable Mention in the Soundscapes category of the Sonic Arts Award (Rome, Italy, 2014).
- February 12, 2014, Acousmatica XIII: Liaisons et déchirures, Black Box — Musiikkitalo, Helsinki (Finland)
- Honorable Mention, Soundscapes, Sonic Arts Award 2014, Rome (Italy)
- 2013 – 2014, Studio Erkki — Sibelius-Akatemia, Helsinki (Finland)