- Year of composition: 1985
- Duration: 17:07
- Instrumentation: stereo fixed medium
- Publisher(s): Yul média
- ISWC: T0707150206
- 44,1 kHz, 16 bits
Take this person I used to know quite well. I haven’t seen her for a very long time; say I unexpectedly meet her. During our brief meeting I stubbornly try to connect her familiar elements with the stream of new signs being displayed.
Unsatisfying effort; polished surfaces, unforeseen iridescences, darkened areas meet one’s eye. Beyond certain points the paths lead nowhere. Thickets, bushes. The despair of recognizing something. And on the other hand, that stranger standing there, resembling me so much.
All I know of my nature and that of the universe is incomplete: it is exactly as if I knew nothing.
Portrait d’un visiteur was realized from August, 1984 to August, 1985 at the studio of the Groupe de musique expérimentale de Marseille (GMEM), at the McGill University Electronic Music Studio and at the composer’s studio. The mix was done at Studio Multisons in Montréal. The work premiered on September 26, 1985 at Pollack Hall, Montréal. Portrait d’un visiteur was awarded the 1st prize of the Luigi Russolo International Competition (Varese, Italy, 1985).
- 1984-08 – 1985-08, Groupe de musique expérimentale de Marseille (GMEM), Marseille (Bouches-du-Rhône, France)
- 1984-08 – 1985-08, Electronic Music Studio — McGill University, Montréal (Québec)
- 1984-08 – 1985-08, Personal studio, Montréal (Québec)
- September 26, 1985, Concert, Salle Pollack — Pavillon Strathcona — Université McGill, Montréal (Québec)
- Studio Multisons, Montréal (Québec)