Onset / Offset
- Year of composition: 1996
- Duration: 7:21
- Instrumentation: stereo fixed medium
- Publisher(s): Ymx média
- ISWC: T0102871691
- AAC, 320 kbps
- MP3, 320 kbps
- 48 kHz, 24 bits
- 88 kHz, 24 bits
“Onset — beginning; attack; articulation; impulse; an event marking a notable change of state.
Offset — displacement; perceptible delay in time; measurable distance in space; dislocation.
Onset / Offset explores the interplay between the real-world connotations of recognisable sounds and their spectromorphological characteristics (their purely sonic qualities). The resulting ambiguities lead to some startling displacements and dislocations between events/articulations and their continuations/extensions.”
Jonty Harrison, 2006
Onset / Offset was realized in summer 1996 in the Electroacoustic Music Studios of the University of Birmingham (UK) and the studios of Northern College (Aberdeen, Scotland) and premiered on June 25, 1996 at the Filmhouse (Edinburgh). It received Honorable Mentions at the Stockholm Electronic Arts Award (Sweden, 1996) and the 1st Concorso Internazionale di Composizione Musicale Elettronica Pierre Schaeffer (Pescara, Italy, 1998).
- June 25, 1996, Concert, Filmhouse, Edinburgh (Scotland, UK)
- Mention, Stockholm Electronic Arts Award 1996, Stockholm (Sweden)
- Honorable Mention, Category A (fixed medium), 1st International Competition of Computer Music Pierre Schaeffer, Pescara (Italy)
- 1996-06 – 1996-08, Electroacoustic Music Studios — University of Birmingham, Birmingham (England, UK)
- 2005, Dominique Bassal • Studio Inverse, Montréal (Québec)