- Year of composition: 2013
- Duration: 10:12
- Instrumentation: stereo fixed medium [with optional additional sound diffusion inside a piano]
- Publisher(s): Ymx média
- ISWC: T9194129221
- 44,1 kHz, 16 bits
Objects-Interiors is a work that ‘takes place’ inside a piano. The historied, polysemous instrument is re-examined as its own kind of interior space. Much of the sound material consists of impulse responses — bursts of noise that capture the reverberant properties of an acoustic space. As the piece moves from capturing the real space of the piano, it imagines other spaces, comparing the piano’s resonant chamber to other kinds of interiors, and, finally into a surreal world where space, motion, and sound are blurred.
Objects-Interiors was realized in 2013 at the composer’s studio in Montréal (Québec), and premiered on March 14, 2013 during the Cluster festival in Winnipeg (Canada). Objects-Interiors was awarded the First Prize in the Jeu de temps / Times Play (JTTP) competition of the Canadian Electroacoustic Community (CEC, Canada, 2013), and the First Prize in the Hugh Le Caine Award of the SOCAN Foundation Awards for Young Composers (Canada, 2013).
- March 14, 2013, James O’Callaghan, diffusion • Cluster 2013 — Pop + Noise: Paramirabo, Urban Shaman, Winnipeg (Manitoba, Canada)
- 1st prize, Jeu de temps / Times Play (JTTP) 2013, Canada
- 1st prize, Hugh Le Caine Awards, SOCAN Foundation Awards for Young Composers 2013, Canada
- Mention, Ars Electronica Forum Wallis 2018, Leuk (Switzerland)
- 2013, Personal studio, Montréal (Québec)