- Year of composition: 1995
- Duration: 12:20
- Instrumentation: stereo fixed medium
- Publisher(s): Yul média
- Commission: Codes d’accès, with support from the CCA , et Musiques & Recherches
- ISWC: T0704802812
Free adaptation of the facinating images of the underworlds of Voyage au centre de la terre (A Journey to the Center of the Earth) (1864) by Jules Verne (1828-1905).
Nuit cendre [Embers Night] was realized at the composer’s studio in Montréal (Québec) in 1995 and premiered on February 27, 1996 during the L’orchestre de haut-parleurs concert coproduced by Codes d’accès and Réseaux at Agora de la danse in Montréal. This piece was co-commissionned by Codes d’accès (Montréal) and Musiques & Recherches (Ohain, Belgium) with support from the Canada Council for the Arts (CCA). Nuit cendre was awarded the Prize of the Stockholm Electronics Arts Award (Stockholm, Sweden, 1997), the First Pirze and the Public Prize at the 2nd Concurso Internacional de Música Eletroacústica de São Paulo (CIMESP ’97, Brazil). This work was further presented at the World Music Days 1998 in Manchester (UK) and at the ICMC ’99 (International Computer Music Conference) in Beijing (China). Nuit cendre was recorded on the compact disc Musica Maximalista 4: II CIMESP 1997 in 1997.
- February 27, 1996, Musiques-échange Québec-Belgique: L’orchestre de haut-parleurs 1, Agora de la danse, Montréal (Québec)
- Prize, Stockholm Electronic Arts Award 1997, Stockholm (Sweden)
- 1st prize, International Electroacoustic Music Contest of São Paulo 1997, São Paulo (Brazil)
- Public prize, International Electroacoustic Music Contest of São Paulo 1997, São Paulo (Brazil)
- 1995, Personal studio, Montréal (Québec)